You’ll work with our Risk Practice in one of our offices in Germany as
Consultant (m/f) - Compliance, Risk Management
This global practice supports clients in many different industries facing challenges of developing and implementing tailored concepts for risk recognition, measurement, and control.
Facing extreme volatility in financial and commodity markets, more and more of our clients are realizing that effective, risk-informed strategy can offer a major source of competitive advantage. We take a truly global, cross-sector, cross-functional view of risk issues, combining McKinsey’s deep industry insight and strategic skills with a structured risk-management approach, proven methodologies focused on true transformation, analytical tools, and practical implementation.
What you'll do
You’ll work in teams of typically 3-5 consultants, helping clients understand and quantify risk exposures, evaluate risk strategies, and build and maintain risk models in the areas of compliance, internal control, and operational business process transformation.
This includes gathering and analyzing information, formulating and testing hypotheses, and developing and communicating recommendations. You’ll help us to integrate strategic perspectives and approaches with actual operations and process redesign capabilities. You will also help bring the McKinsey value proposition to clients, conveying a strategic perspective to the bank’s internal control framework and addressing top-priority issues regarding governance, processes, and culture.
Additionally, you will help McKinsey develop respective knowledge and will have the opportunity to shape this fast-growing initiative. You’ll gain new skills and build on the strengths you bring to the firm. Consultants receive exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues on their teams.
Candidates with extensive work experience will enter the role at a more senior level.
- University degree in business/economics or a quantitative discipline (Statistics, Mathematics or Physics) and excellent academic record
- 3+ years of work experience and extensive knowledge in risk management, ideally in a consulting firm, leading bank or a regulator, and/or a PhD
- Knowledge of regulations, compliance, and reporting requirements or practical/academic expertise in one or more of these areas of risk - compliance, audit, operational, conduct, reputational, business, earnings volatility, internal control, etc.
- Industry experience with key compliance topics is a plus, e.g., knowing your customer; AML; counterterrorism financing; sanctions, FATCA; SOX across different geographies, functions, and business units
- Strong record of leadership in an academic, professional, or extracurricular setting
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English and the local office language(s)
- Willingness to travel